There are many issues that can occur when you don’t deal with slab leak detection on time. These include water damage, mold growth, and health problems. If you do not address these issues early on, they can become serious problems and cost a lot of money to repair.
- A Sudden Hike in Bills: One of the best ways to determine if your plumbing system has a problem is to check your water bills for a sudden increase in the amount you spend on water. This can be an indication of a slab leak, especially if the bill is increasing at a steady rate without any stretches in the timeframe. You’ll also want to make sure that you have not experienced a decrease in your home’s energy efficiency, which can happen when there is a slab leak. If you do, the problem is probably much more serious and requires immediate attention.
- Your Foundation Could Be Under Pressure: A slab leak will cause the foundation of your home to start leaking, which can cause it to shift. If the damage goes unnoticed, this can lead to serious structural problems that could eventually result in your foundation collapsing.
- Cracks in Your Floor or Tile: When a slab leak is left unrepaired, it can cause your flooring to get warped and damaged. If this happens, your floors will need to be replaced and possibly even ripped up entirely.
- Mold and Mildew Grow: When a leak occurs, it can cause your walls and drywall to begin to soak up water. This can cause mold to grow and begin to cause foul odors throughout your home. As this growth progresses, it can also lead to the development of asthma and other respiratory problems. This is especially true if you have young children or an infant that might be at risk for developing asthma in the future. If you notice the growth of mildew or mold in your home, call a professional to get it taken care of right away. This can prevent mold growth in the future, and you’ll also be able to avoid costly repairs down the line. You’ll also need to consider the effects a slab leak will have on your family and pets. Some animals, such as cats, prefer to lie on warm spots or rest on top of leaking areas, so this could be an indicator of a slab leak.
- Your Yard Will Be Drenched: A slab leak can be very destructive to your yard, as water is absorbed by the soil and can lead to large patches of landscaping being drenched. This can cause a whole host of problems, from attracting mosquitoes to promoting the growth of weeds.
- Your Carpets and Rugs Will Be Discolored: When a slab leak has gone untreated, it can leave your carpets and rugs stained or drenched with water. This can also make it difficult to keep the carpets clean.